Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 00:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ben Wern <bwern@jaxnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM Failure?

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Ben Wern wrote:

> >Now, was it working AFTER the install?  If this is the first time the
> >installed system was booted, you'll have to rebuild the kernel with the
> >ATAPI options detailed in LINT.
>
> Yes, this was after a 2 month old, fully funciton install - this particular
> kernel had been running for 2 months, with a function CDROM.

Wierd.  (Strangeness class upgrade)

This is quickly escaping my expertise.  Final suggestions:

1)  Does it work with DOS okay?  Looking at a possible hardware failure.
Check cables, etc....

2)  Hope someone else who actually knows something about ATAPI answers
the question.  :)

> >Did you try ./MAKEDEV wcd0?  :-)
>
> Well, the devices already existed (like I said, it was working), but after a
> couple of failure days, I removed it and remade it. Still, no success.
>
> Perhaps I should just chuck all my disks and put in a SCSI system. :)

I dumped a TEAC proprietary for a Plextor 4.5PleX SCSI and a NCR
controller.  Works under freebsd and blows the pants off of that nasty
teac.  :)