Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:28:55 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: color, again, in grotty

--w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:05:55AM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
>=20
> >> I agree. Grotty should get termcap color capabilities using TERM env. =
=3D20
> >> variable, if output isatty(). That is termcap purpose.
> >>=20
> >It is almost never isatty(), because the most typical scenario is
> >to pass the output through a pipe to ${PAGER}, or to a compressor.

I was trying to stay out of this discussion, so I did not post this
yesterday - the first thing that came to my mind when Andrey suggested
isatty() was the PAGER pipe.  So, no, isatty() would not work indeed.

> The default output format for nroff (and grotty) must continue to be for
> a dumb, overstriking, hardcopy printer. Changing this breaks too many
> things. If the GNU folks insist on having color printing on their ANSI
> terminals they should create a groansi, use 'groff -Tansi', and leave
> nroff alone.

Seconded, strongly.  This would be the best approach IMHO.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org