Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 14:39:22 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Sup's Freefall-centric tree conventions

Justin T. Gibbs writes:

>Please read the files in ~ftp/sup on Freefall before commenting on
>this subject further.

A) I have read them.

B) One portion of the files describe the user's end, another describe the
server.
  There will be multiple servers. Each of them should (I would say MUST)
have the same structure. Joe User should be able to reference anyone of
them by simply changing the server address. (Frankly, I would prefer that
the server address be set in the first line and automatically remembered
until it is changed. That would reduce the customization to a single
point.)

C) A user should be able to sup ANY distribution tree without editing the
sup files.
  Multiple trees should not step on each other.  The default case should
not use /usr/src... that belongs to the user. If he wants to link to a
distribution, he can add the single link. In fact, it could be argued that
the install process should set that link to point to the sources actually
used.

Please consider the general case that supports multiple situations rather
than the inverted ego-centric attitude that the user should move things
around depending upon which version of a system he wants to use at that
time.

Consider ....

I want to run 2.1-RELEASE, but sup both -stable and -current to decide what
changes I wish to integrate into my system.  Further, I will be a supserver
for others for both -stable and -current.

This should happen seamlessly using the defaults. I should not have to edit
the supfiles.

Joe and I think your present scheme should be improved.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net