Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 22:39:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, rnordier@nordier.com, eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

> > License is a good enough reason.
>
> At what price?  I still want numbers.  (I've got a primitive test
> suite here, but I'm presently in a make world, and want to run it on
> an idle machine.  Numbers will be posted RSN.)

At nearly any price.  The main reason most of us aren't hacking Linux
is the GPL on Linux preventing us from using (not utilizing) the
code and code fragments in commercial products.  GPL'ed code is not
suitable for embedded systems.  I have this fantasy of someone using
GPL'ed code for the executive in a missle system, and Sadam Hussein
calling up and demanding source code, or that the US cease their
"distribution" of the binary code to Iraq.

> > Not to mention an architecturally neutral ports distribution...
>
> I don't see this as a big win for FreeBSD.

NetBSD and OpenBSD use the FreeBSD ports distribution.  FreeBSD is also
in the process of being ported to multiple architectures.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.