Date:      01 Mar 2003 12:05:54 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: howto stop port from installing .la files ?

--=-GekBT1M2MOWrWL0CucQr

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 11:59, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Saturday 01 March 2003 17:36, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > That's not good advice, because you cannot know what _other_ applicat=
ions
> > > might want to lt_dlopen(ext) the libraries your port installs.
> >
> > Like I said, in all my porting, I've only run across two instances wher=
> > this has been the case.  It's very easy to go back and install the .la
> > files should they be needed later.  However, this is a _very_ rare
> > thing.
>=20
> Well it's not at all rare for KDE apps, since they all use libltdl (if yo=
u=20
> ever wanna b0rk someone's KDE installation out of malice, sneak up to his=
=20
> machine and do find / -name *.la -delete ;)).=20

So do the KDE components roll their own ltdl and compile it in
statically?  I only found five ports that actually depend on libltdl.

> The question remains what is to=20
> be gained by nuking the libtool archives. All the reasons people come up =
with=20
> (like "waste of disk space, CPU time and developer's time", quote sobomax=
)=20
> sound rather smug to me when you look at what that's actually about (~1k=20
> textfiles).

I guess it's best left to the porter's preference and knowledge of the
application.  I'm not going to go on a crusade to remove all .la files
from all ports.  However, in the GNOME ports that I know don't need
those libraries, I'll not install them.=20

Joe

--=20

--=-GekBT1M2MOWrWL0CucQr

--=-GekBT1M2MOWrWL0CucQr--