Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:27:37 +0100
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More than 256 pty's

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:28:54 +0000
Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie> wrote:
RC> <quote>
RC> You can have more than 256 ptys; the problem is what to name them.  You
RC> can easily get 384 ptys by extending the current scheme slightly (using
RC> /dev/tty[tuTU]*; /dev/ttyv* is syscons so we hit our limit with this
RC> naming scheme).  Edit /dev/MAKEDEV and /usr/src/lib/libutil/pty.c
RC> </quote>

	It looks to me like you also have to hack around in kern/tty_pty.c,
there are hard coded assumptions in there about 256 minor numbers being mapped.
Also comments about doing something about it, the mapping is defined in there.
Making it work above 256 doesn't look hard, agreeing on a naming convention
might be harder :)