Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:41:23 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Ronan Lucio <ronanl@melim.com.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LPD

At 5:35 PM -0300 6/11/02, Ronan Lucio wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm having a problem with lpd.

Let me ask a few questions....

>I reinstalled a FreeBSD-4.5 box that must have a printer
>queue on another AIX Server sends the jobs from it's (AIX)
>queue to be printed.

So, are you saying that the AIX machine will send print
jobs to the FreeBSD machine?  And the FreeBSD machine
is the one which actually prints the job?

If you send a job to the same printer by using 'lpr' on
the freebsd machine, does that job print OK?  In other
words, does the problem only happen for jobs which are
coming in from the remote (AIX) machine?

>The problem is: When a computer sends a job to the queue, it
>prints perfectly, but the file /var/spool/lpd/<queue>/lock
>isn't been removed... :-/
>
>When I remove lock file manualy, it prints normaly once again
>and don't remove lock file.

Note that in normal operation, lpd does not need to remove
the 'lock' file.  So, the fact that the file exists is not
a problem.  But apparently there is some problem when the
lock file exists, and that problem does not happen if the
lock file needs to be created.

>I have also needed to create the directories:
>/var/spool/lpd/lp
>/var/spool/lpd/ra1-14
>/var/spool/lpd/ra1-15
>/var/spool/lpd/ra1-16
>/var/spool/lpd/spo

What is the owner and group for those directories?  Also,
how are the directories permitted?

When you send a job to the printer, do you see any error
messages in the file /var/log/messages?  It might be that
you will see the error on the first print job (the one
which does print), or you may see the error on the later
jobs (the jobs which do not print until the lock file is
removed).

Try running
     /usr/sbin/chkprintcap

and see if it gives you any errors.  If you run that program
as 'root', you could also give it the '-d' parameter, and it
would create the spool directories for you.