Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:03:16 -0400
From:      David Herrera <dherrera@ciens.ula.ve>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DDS data problem

Dear Sirs from FreeBSD:

I got one big problem and I want to you where do you think I must go.
I got one 2.0GB DDS 4mm tape and I got there data that I want to
recover.
You are the FIRST people that I see that say something about this kind
of tapes.
It got jammed in 2 differents DAT drives and we had to open them
to released it, it couldn't be ejected by itself. It stay trying
to set the tape in the ready-to-work position but it goes over and
over, trying to eject/set the tape.
It seems that the drive where the problem began, has melt a kind
of soft little pillow by which the tape rolls and it stuck a little
of it on the tape. Furthermore, the tape is corrugated in a short part.
It's written by a Colorado Tape Backup program for DOS, and when the
tape finally stop and I try to do something with it, it send me the
message "Error 99 - Tape drive error (192)"
I can tell you more details about it, but it could be not necessary.
If you need more details, as the drive models or something, just ask.

Best regards,
David Herrera
Centro de Investigaciones de Astronomia