Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:19:36 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>, Joel CARNAT <joel.carnat@noos.fr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is OpenBSD safer than other BSDs ?

> Personally, I don't think there are major security reasons to choose
> one over the other.  If you look at the advisory history of FreeBSD
> and OpenBSD over the past year or two, most of the serious problems
> have been shared by OpenBSD; OpenBSD has had serious problems not
> shared by FreeBSD; and FreeBSD has had serious problems not shared by
> OpenBSD.
>
> FreeBSD's source code has been fairly well audited, and we've made a
> lot of security fixes over the past few years, including fixes from
> OpenBSD.

I have found FreeBSD to be fairly good with security, and I like it
better than OpenBSD for many other reasons...

The only problem seems that sometimes security advisories via the
announce list come later than for OpenBSD... Which shouldnt matter
much if you are really security conscious you will be reading bugtraq
and the like...

Is it just me or has there STILL not been an advisory on the ntpd
remote root hole?! (I may have missed it or something I guess)...