Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 1998 12:16:15 -0800
From:      Rainer Enders <renders@erilab.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Rainer Enders <renders@erilab.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP FreeBSD Server just hangs.

Hi Doug,

thank you first of all for your reply. The NIC is configured correctly.
In the meantime I was able to reproduce the error an nail it down. The
mail server is connected to a Cabletron SmartSwitch 6000 to a 10/100
switched port. When I configure the Switchport on the Cabletron to
fixed 10 MBit the server works fine in either half-duplex or full-duplex
mode. When I set the switched port to 100 MBit either full or half-duplex
I don't get a link up at all between the Switch and the PC. When I configure
the Switchport to Autosensing the PC gets connected at 100 MBit half duplex
- strange behavior anyhow. In this mode mail clients are unable to connect
to the server. The connection times out. So I was thinking of a problem in the
driver for the 3COM card in BSD. But maybe its a problem with the Switch? I
would be interested to hear from people using FreeBSD 2.2.5 with the 3COM
3C905 NIC in 100 MBit mode.

Best regards,
Rainer Enders.

> On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Rainer Enders wrote:

> > I'm running 2.2.5 and have big problems with the machines which are
> > servers connected to a Switching Hub. The machines just hang and I
> > don't even get a login prompt. The machines are mail servers and
> > if people try to get their mails they won't get it.
>
> They're dying on the DNS lookup, just hit control-C or wait a few minutes.
>
> > The machines have a 3COM NIC 3C905. Is there a newer version of driver?
>
> No.
>
> Do you have ifconfig_vx0 lines in /etc/rc.conf?  You need to each them
> what their network address is and such.

Dipl.-Ing. Rainer Enders
Senior Systems Engineer
Ericsson Cyberlab  | Voice:	+1.650.853.4303
1555 Adams Drive   | Mobile:    +1.510.409.1365
Menlo Park,        | Fax:	+1.650.853.4333
CA 94025-1451      | Email:	Rainer.Enders@erilab.com
U.S.A		   | X.400:	G=Rainer/S=Enders/OU1=EED/
                   |		P=Ericsson/A=400net/C=SE
Last not least:
Our Web Site is at: http://www.erilab.com