Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:42:57 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: howto stop port from installing .la files ?

--Boundary-02=_mEPY+iK34ezsVE/

On Saturday 01 March 2003 18:05, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 11:59, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > > Like I said, in all my porting, I've only run across two instances
> > > where this has been the case.  It's very easy to go back and install
> > > the .la files should they be needed later.  However, this is a _very_
> > > rare thing.
> >
> > Well it's not at all rare for KDE apps, since they all use libltdl (if
> > you ever wanna b0rk someone's KDE installation out of malice, sneak up =
> > his machine and do find / -name *.la -delete ;)).
>
> So do the KDE components roll their own ltdl and compile it in
> statically?  I only found five ports that actually depend on libltdl.

Yes. It's part of libkdecore, which contains the generic KLibLoader class.

> > The question remains what is to
> > be gained by nuking the libtool archives. All the reasons people come up
> > with (like "waste of disk space, CPU time and developer's time", quote
> > sobomax) sound rather smug to me when you look at what that's actually
> > about (~1k textfiles).
>
> I guess it's best left to the porter's preference and knowledge of the
> application.  I'm not going to go on a crusade to remove all .la files
> from all ports.

You don't, I don't, others do (or at least have done so in the past), which=
 is=20
why portlint is complaining and the porter's handbook contains that=20
misleading information in the first place (which isn't exactly wrong, just=
=20
the conlusion "libtool archives -> useless" is wrong).

>  However, in the GNOME ports that I know don't need
> those libraries, I'll not install them.

Like I said, you can never really know, but of course there's nothing wrong=
=20
about it as long as you'll add them as soon as another port maintainer will=
=20
come and complain. ;)

My advice to porters would be to continue using USE_LIBTOOL, but not bother=
=20
removing the .la's, if USE_LIBTOOL doesn't take care of them, because they =
do=20
not do harm (by any reasonable standards) and are not useless (which is=20
easily proven by existing applications, whatever their number, that break i=
n=20
their absence).

=2D-=20
Regards,