Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:04:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Peter Johnson <locke@mcs.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aout-to-elf-build failure after freebsd.cf?

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Peter Johnson wrote:

> Oops, sorry about this one folks.. building it w/o -j8 worked (although it
> was quite slow).  Interesting points to note, however:
>
> 1. Building "world" with -j8 works fine.
> 2. Building aout-to-elf-build w/o -j8 finishes the exact same way, but
> doesn't display the error messages (eg, the last output line is "chmod 444
> freebsd.cf").  So why the errors with -j8?

This was a pathing error with the legacy build, and no longer exists
with current ... fixed, I think, in Makefile.inc0 rev 1.9.  You can
either update, or just drop -j.  Sure was a major PITA until it was
found.  Luoqi Chen found it (all I found was a new collection of ways to
panic a machine).

> Thanks,
>
> Peter Johnson
> locke@mcs.net
>
> (side note: sorry about the name on the original message.. wasn't paying
> attention to my mailer config at the time I was writing the message :)
>
> At 03:24 PM 11/11/98 -0600, Peter Johnson wrote:
> >
> >Decided to upgrade my -current aout system (cvsupped yesterday) to elf
> >(cvsupped today around 1) using make aout-to-elf-build.  I'm running SMP
> >w/o softupdates.  I deleted the /usr/obj tree of files before building.
> >Running "make -j8 aout-to-elf-build" results (eventually :) in the
> >following error:
> >
> >--- wcd_mod.o ---
> >ld -r -aout -o tmp.o wcd.o
> >rm -f symb.tmp
> >for i in _wcd_mod ; do echo $i >> symb.tmp ; done
> >symorder -c symb.tmp tmp.o
> >rm -f symb.tmp
> >my tmp.o wcd_mod.o
> >===> etc
> >--- all ---
> >===> etc/sendmail
> >--- freebsd.cf ---
> >rm -f freebsd.cf
> >(cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail &&  m4
> >-D_CF_DIR_=/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/
> >/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) >
> >freebsd.cf
> >chmod 444 freebsd.cf
> >1 error
> >*** Error code 2
> >1 error
> >#

> Peter Johnson
> locke@mcs.net
> http://locke.home.ml.org
> PGP Keys available from above address.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).