Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:29:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard advice...

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Brian Tao wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Mark Murray wrote:
> >
> > I dunno about the MMX, but the Giga-Byte GA586DX does the rest.
>
>     Yeah, I was just browsing through their site.  Does it support 75
> or 83 MHz bus speeds?  The info on the Web site doesn't specify.  It
> does say that Pentium MMX CPU's are supported.

The GA-586DX is a great board, but it will not do most or your list. It
has not clock support over 66MHz, no SDRAM, no DIMM, no Ultra DMA, no
concurrent PCI, not AGP, etc.

But that is not its target audience. It is a very fine server board, and
does not cost much more than the Adaptec SCSI card it replaces. It will
go up to dual 200MHz (with or w/o MMX), caches up to 512MB, and supports
up to 784MB of system memory. We have sold tons of these over the past 18
months, and the reliability has been very good.

Kevin