Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:08:26 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        David Chamberlain <david.chamberlain@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

On 2 Sep 98, at 11:47, David Chamberlain wrote:

> OK, so back to the original question.  How do I do it?
>
> I saw a product called MySQL, which looks pretty good.  I can probably
> figure out how to install that and make it work from the instructions.
>
> How do I get the data from the SQL server to the Web page.

I've never written code to do the above.  But I do have experience in
writing client server database applications.  Specifically, accessing
relational databases via a C/API which is what I assume you will be using
with MySQL.  There will be a list of functions which you call.  This will
allow you to access the database.  I'm sure there's a user manual there
somewhere.

SQL is a complex language.  But if all you want to do is create a simple
CRUD (create, read, update, delete) interface, it should be straight
forward.  Database schema creation (tables, indexes, etc) is considered,
by some, to be an art form.

If you have new to either SQL or database schemas, it may pay dividends to
get in some professional help, depending on how critical this database
will be.  See next paragraph.

On a side note, this sounds like a good topic for my diary.  I'd like to
see how good MySQL stacks up against other systems I've used.  Especially
after all the good things I've heard it.  Given that I want to do this, it
helps to have a real application to go against.  How complex is your
situation?  If it's a weekend job, I may be interested in helping you out.
 I already have apache installed.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited