Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:43:55 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Panagiotis Christias <p.christias@noc.ntua.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 on IBM x3550 M3

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Panagiotis Christias
> On 11/2/2013 14:11, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:23:53 +0200
>> Panagiotis Christias <p.christias@noc.ntua.gr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 on an IBM x3550 M3 server.
>>> Installation went smoothly, RAID controller and network cards were
>>> successfully recognised.
>>>
>>> But, after the installation, the server fails to boot from disk.
>>> There were some posts, about two years ago, in this list implying
>>> that the problem lies in UEFI but I couldn't find any clear
>>> solution.
>>>
>> I do not know if this is the same problem I face on my notebook but it
>> currently does not boot when I use GPT. Can you give a MBR partitioned
>> disk a try?
>>
>> My notebook was earlier booting from a GPT disk. I cannot remember why
>> I used MBR for the new disk.
>

> Hello,
>
> I suppose trying an 8.3 installation would be the easiest way to use MBR
> instead of GPT, right;

That would do it, but 9.1 is perfectly happy doing MBR. It's just not
the default.

Seems like many BIOSes assume that GPT=uEFI. Clearly this is silly, but...

I know Lenovo laptops have this problem and it is VERY annoying. I run
FreeBSD on a GPT disk on my ThinkPad, but I have booteasy installed on
an MBR disk (which contains W7) and my BIOS is set to boot from that
disk.BootEasy then will boot up the GPT disk with FreeBSD.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com