Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:14:18 +0000
From:      "edison carter" <edison_carter@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with 4.4-RELEASE on Abit TH7-RAID

Hello,
        I have an Abit TH7-RAID motherboard with a P4-1.5ghz using
2x256MB RDRAM (800mhz, non-ECC), a 3c905b, generic video, and 2x40GB
Maxtor ata100 7200rpm hd's.  The machine has been randomly locking
up on 4.4-RELEASE for the past week.  Several re-installs have occured
and various make.conf and KERNEL additions have been performed.  I
had 2x64MB of some Samsung ram, but yanked it out and left only the
Kingston.  I have taken the hd's off the raid controller (I noticed
the raid wasn't supported) and completely disabled both the RAID
and USB devices in the bios.  I have let the machine run with
the GENERIC kernel to no avail either.  The machine seems to be able
to atleast run for 24hrs until it completely locks up and the only
intervention is to turn off/on power (keyboard/ssh non-responsive).
I had the machine sitting alone (off production) for a while and ran
several I/O intensive tests and saw no problems, It was running for
two weeks before I brought it online.   I do not see any ERROR messages
on the console and in any log files.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?  I'm thinking either motherboard or ram.

(snippits of files)

>>>make.conf

CPUTYPE=p4
CFLAGS=-Os -pipe
CXXFLAGS+= -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
                -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
                -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
                -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wwrite-strings
COPTFLAGS=-Os -pipe

>>>KERNEL

maxusers        512
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         RANDOM_IP_ID
options         UFS_DIRHASH