Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:49:00 -0800
From:      Landon Stewart <landons@uniserve.com>
To:        Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating users from the web

WebMin is a little more than you need for this perticular task, but you
could code something to have commands inserted into a database,
including ENCRYPTED passwords, then write a perl script to query the
database and run whatever commands and parameters were in the database.
 After its all done, it would mark it completed and around we go.

This way its scaleable (if you expand to more than one server).
 RELATIVELY secure (you could encrypt the SQL connections if you want to
go over a network), and best of all you wouldn't have to run anything as
root except your perl script that processes and does the user additions.

I wrote an EXTENSIVE "tools" package for an ISP I worked for that
allowed staff to add/remove for email/usernames/virtusertable entries as
well as do searches etc...

OR

Go with sudo  :-)

Buliwyf McGraw wrote:

> Hello, i want to build a system to create users from a web interface.
> I tried to use the su_exec function of apache but it doesn't support
> run programs "as root" or execute setuid programs.
> I really need that the system work by the web... i know that it could
> be insecure, but anyway, i have to do it.
> Any sugestions?
> Thanks for any help.

  Landon Stewart
  System Administrator
  Vancouver Pacific Pender
  Uniserve Online

  Right of Use:
  The sender intends this message for a specific recipient and, as it
  may contain information that is privileged or confidential, any use,
  dissemination, forwarding, or copying by anyone without permission
  from the sender is prohibited. Personal e-mail may contain views
  that are not necessarily those of the company.