Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:11:48 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

On 2 Sep 98, at 15:01, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, David Chamberlain wrote:
>
> > OK, so back to the original question.  How do I do it?
> >
> > I saw a product called MySQL, which looks pretty good.  I can probably
> > figure out how to install that and make it work from the instructions.
>
>  I'm biased...MySQL has a commercial-use license, so for someone
> that is worried about buying more hardware, you'll probably want to avoid
> using MySQL.  Check out PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org), which
> falls under Berkeley license and is free for use, period.  No "unless you
> use it for this, or this or this"...

Why did you mention the license in conjunction with "buying more
hardware"?  I'm confused.  I understood that MySQL was free unless you
were distributing a commercial product.  In effect, if you are using it
inhouse or giving away your product, there is no fee to be paid.  Perhaps
I missed the original poster's intentions.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited