Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:23:45 -0600
From:      Derek Inksetter <derek@saidev.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq panics

I'm running -current at home, and I'd like to get it running at work.
My first plan was to install the most recent SNAP, and take it from
there, but there seems to be a problem with the hardware:

The machine at work is a Compaq Prolinea 5133, 32MB, SCSI/IDE machine,
and it gets a nasty panic very early in the boot phase, even before
any probing, when I try to start up the kernel from the boot floppy.
After a few conversations with others and a quick browse through DejaNews
articles and the GNATS database, I noticed kern/5140, submitted by
Joel.Faedi@esial.u-nancy.fr, which says:

> Release
>      3.0-971123-SNAP (problem since bios32 is detected)
> Environment
> Description
>
>      On Compaq Prolinea with Pentium CPU (Prolinea 575/590/5133/5150,
>      I have only these models), all kernels will panic. The problem
>      is due to due to a call at "bios32_SDCI" address. This addess is
>      given bios_sigsearch function in bios.c (see fix) after a cast in
>      bios32_SDheader structure and on Compaq Prolinea, this value is
>      too big (perhaps coded diffently).

and even goes on to suggest a fix to sys/i386/i386/bios.c...

I guess what I'm saying is:

This doesn't seem to be fixed in the -current tree. (At least not at
first glance) I'd be willing to work with someone on this, offering the
use of my two machines for testing purposes.  I don't feel comfortable
enough with BIOS stuff to try to tackle this myself, but I can help to test
any fixes.

Who would be the main responsible party for that particular hunk of code?

Derek
--
Derek Inksetter <d.inksetter@saidev.com>
"Indecision is the key to flexibility" --Unknown