Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 19:11:49 +0000
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Adrian Chew <adrchew@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/FreeBSD Books...

Adrian Chew wrote:

> I've been lamenting to friends how little good Unix books are available...
> looking at the online handbook, it suggests various titles not availabe in
> local bookstores here, am wondering of their content quality.

I suggest that you order your books through an Internet bookstore, especially
if your local stores follow the same policy as here, and multiply the U.S.
price by two after spending several months to receive it by surface mail.

> Any comments on the user & sysadmin books listed on the online handbook?
> I have little idea looking at just the titles, perhaps a short note on
> each might help in a future edition of the online handbook.

I do not recall exactly which books are listed in the handbook, certainly the
2nd edition of the Nemeth book (red cover) is, and it is a good choice. I believe
that the Hunt TCP/IP admin book is also listed, and it is a good book, but if
you have the Nemeth book you probably do not need it.

For users, I suggest the "Unix Power Tools" from O'Reilly, it is probably the
most consistent of those I have seen for beginner and intermediate users.

> Adrian Chew
> adrchew@pop.jaring.my

Carlos Amengual - Sociedad Astronómica de España y América
Avenida Diagonal, 377, 2  -  08008 Barcelona  -  Spain
amengual@sadeya.cesca.es  -  http://www.sadeya.cesca.es/