Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:03:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        karl@mcs.net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, karl@mcs.net, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNING! Builds from the last few days have BROKEN NFS

> If you look on the other system, a "ls" doesn't show the errant file.
> But a "cat" does -- the data is still there.  Needless to say this is
> pretty troublesome, and leads to lots of head-scratching.

This will opccur on two occasions:

1)	The file has been deleted, but the vnode was not removed
	from the cache, so you get a cache hit on open, and the
	file is still displayable after it has (nominally) been
	deleted.  This points to an error in the name cache code.

2)	The open call is OK, but the readdir is broken; the open
	will succeed, because it does it's own (linear) traversal,
	but the readdir fails because it does a cookie-based per
	block traversal.  This points to an error in the cookie
	code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---