Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 07:55:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Stein <joes@spiritone.com>
To:        viking@kern.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

> What does "Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024)" mean?  The
> install gets about 15% done and I get this message.  I'm installing from a
> DOS partition.

I've seen this one, too.  I finally got desperate when FreeBSD 2.1.6 wouldn't
recognize my hard disk OR the CD-ROM (would ID the CD-ROM and the SCSI ctrlr)
and kept giving me this message.  I finally figured out that "msdos" is not
the same file-system configuration as Win95 uses... Are you using Win95?

I fixed this by doing what I was going to do anyway and eliminating Win95
from my disk, setting up DOS (only) 5.0; then doing the 2.1.6 install from
DOS.  Worked perfectly.

I just yesterday upgraded to 2.2-BETA and now the CD-ROM works, too!

joe