Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 19:11:31 +0000
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow booting

Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:

> Hello:
>
> One of our machines is stalling as it boots.  Not stalling, really but
> pausing for about five minutes before moving on.  Here's what I see:
>
> >lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> >        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         inet 192.168.1.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
> >         ether 00:40:33:3b:d8:1d
> ---THIS IS WHERE THE DELAY OCCURS---
> >clearing /tmp
>
> Initially I had thought something in the static routes might be causing the
> hang, but I took those out and the problem persists.  I have two other
> systems with the exact same NE2000-compatible networking card on almost the
> exact same configuration (the others have slightly more RAM and use SCSI
> instead of IDE drives) so I haven't a clue what's causing the problem.

I have three FreeBSD machines that have or had the same problem. It is nothing
related to NIS nor hostname-IP translations. They pause when doing the ifconfig
of the ed0 (or ed1) physical interfaces, and when adding routes, but not when
configuring the loopback. They all use NE2000 clone cards.

One is a 486/66 with 2.05R and, in the beginning, it did not have the problem;
one day I rebooted it and saw this.

The other two are Pentiums with 2.1R, and from the very first boot they had the
problem. One is a P150, and booted slower than the other, a P100 with exactly
the same LAN card. And the same happened under different networking environments
(a BNC LAN with another FreeBSD system, a Windows 95 system, a 10BaseT connected
to Internet...; everything running OK after boot).

The boot time was delayed an average of 15 minutes (yes, 15) because of this.

One day, one of the Pentium systems (the P100) started to boot correctly. I
touched nothing that could cause this. I do not have news from the other Pentium
as it is now an Internet server located away.

I hope this information helps (at least to save some time).

> Jordyn

Carlos
Carlos Amengual - Sociedad Astronómica de España y América
Avenida Diagonal, 377, 2  -  08008 Barcelona  -  Spain
amengual@sadeya.cesca.es  -  http://www.sadeya.cesca.es/