Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   `time make buildworld'

I previously mentioned my adventures upgrading a Pentium 133 from 2.2.5 to
4.1.1, but I'm noting some odd behavior with the length of time it takes
to buildworld:

 -Running 2.2.5, buildworld to 2.2.8-S, ~11 hours

 -Running 2.2.8-S, buildworld to 3.2-S, ~12 hours

 -Running 3.2-S, buildworld to 3.5-S, ~12 hours

 -Cheated, ran buildworld on a PII-350 for 4.1.1-S, 1 hour, 54 minutes,
then ran installworld over NFS

 -Running 4.1.1-S, buildworld 4.1.1-S, 74 hours, 53 minutes.

Now, I couldn't see that buildworld for 3.5-S would take 12 hours, then on
the same machine, buildworld for 4.1.1-S would take nearly 75 hours.
Besides the upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1.1, the only change was that I mounted
all non-root partitions with softupdates enabled.

So, I disable softupdates on all partitions and try again.  Now it only
takes 44 hours and 30 minutes to buildworld.  Only, ha.

So what's happening here?  Softupdates slow down buildworld?  4.1.1 does
buildworld slower than 3.5 and earlier?  Or 4.1.1 buildworld takes a lot
longer than earlier versions?  Or my system is just weird?

Not a matter of life and death--the system seems to be running happily,
buildworld completes, etc, but just curious as to why it's taking so much
longer for 4.1.1 buildworlds...

Ken