Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:47:11 -0700
From:      Deepankar Das <ddas@panasas.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building FreeBSD 4.6 with GCC 3.2

We tried a few experiments with GCC 3.2 and parts of our source
code and found performance improvements. We want to see if there
are any similar improvements to the FreeBSD OS if we use GCC 3.2.
I understand that it is not a simple task to just swap compilers
to build the kernel. Would be very interested to know what others
have experienced.

Thanks,
Deepankar

Kenneth Culver wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 October 2002 05:12 pm, Deepankar Das wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>Has anyone tried building FreeBSD 4.6 with GCC 3.2? I am seeing
>>pre-processor problems during the "make depend" stage. Anything
>>that I need to know to make GCC 3.2 build FreeBSD 4.6?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Deepankar
>>

> I'm just curious, but why are you doing this. This isn't a supported way of
> doing things in FreeBSD 4.6, and I doubt that anyone's going to be able to
> tell you how to do it because of that.
>
> Ken

Deepankar Das
Panasas Inc.
Pioneering the World's Most Scalable and Agile Storage Network

www.panasas.com
ddas@panasas.com
510-608-4366