Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:13:23 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sdr25 wants to reinstall xfree

Regarding reinstall of Xfree.

> is this for real or is it an aout-to-elf thing?

It is an aout/elf issue. I have the same problem because I run Xig's
Xaccel (which is an aout Xserver).

Ports which run under X Windows now check if you have X installed.
They do this by looking for a library called X11.6
Type
ldconfig -aout -r | grep lX11.6
ldconfig -elf -r | grep lX11.6

Ports are elf format and check the presence of the ELF X11.6 library
before
they build. If the library cannot be found, the ports system will try
and install
X for you.

You have three solutions
1) Edit /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk and comment out the section which
checks
for the lX11.6 library.
2) XFree86 Users should just download the binaries for Xfree86 3.3.3.1
and
install it.
3) XAccel users (XiG) need to get the ELF X11.6 library from the XFree86
installation tar files and place it somewhere where the ldconfig path
will see it.

Bye
Roger