Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:16:50 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to mount GPT based msdos filsystem (ie EFI)

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:34:05AM +0100, phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> In message <20030131012441.GA925@athlon.pn.xcllnt.net>, Marcel Moolenaar writes
> :
> >You may be in the middle of something, but at this time we're
> >not able to mount the EFI filesystem on a GPT disk. I think
> >it started with making NO_GEOM obsolete and the removal of
> >some code that we apparently depend upon.
>
> I'll look at this asap, which probably means after I get back from
> a customer meeting this afternoon.
>
> Can you send the the output of
> 	sysctl -b kern.geom.confxml
> please ?
>
> (if you're fast I'll look at it in the train :-)

It's a red herring. I apparently did clobber the EFI partition
when trying out Intel's EFI tools. The thing that took me I while
to understand is how I could boot my machine in the first place
(which also got me to believe it must be FreeBSD). It so happens
that the EFI loader tries all preconfigured boot options in until
it finds one that works. Since the first failed (the EFI partition
based boot), it fell back to the second, which is a netboot. That
normally always works.

Anyway: I was able to rebuilt my EFI partition so all is well.

Sorry for the false alarm,