Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:37:40 -0400 (AST)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with portmap in Current - need help

I was doing a reinstallation/upgrade of Current to a remote machine (did a
"cvsup", "made world" succsessfully on the server, mounted / and /usr from
the remote machine on to /mnt on the server and ran "make install DESTDIR
/mnt") when the remote machine crashed.

I brought the remote machine back up, but now mountd won't run.  I get
this message from portmap:

portmap[262]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to unset(mountd): request from a
non-local host

Can anybody clarify what is going on?  Shouldn't portmap recognize
localhost for what it is?  The remote machine only has a small drive, and
/usr/local, X, and other stuff are all mounted from other machines.  I do
not have the source on this machine, so I cannot rebuild it locally.

Thanks in advance

Antonio
"I myself have always disliked being called a 'genius'.  It is fascinating
 to notice how quick people have been to intuit this aversion and avoid
 using the term"  --  John Lanchester,  in  "The Debt to Pleasure"