Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 01:07:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        melange@yip.org (Bob K)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Innacurate statements in handbook about buildkernel

As I recall, Bob K wrote:
> No, no.  You're all forgetting that on a system where the source,
> libraries, and building tools never change, it will always build
> consistently.  It only comes into play when upgrading, but is merely one
> other thing to do differently while doing so.

But I was discussing the case of the folks that want to build a
custom kernel, and catch bug fixes to the kernel sources without
committing the disk space and effort to tracking the -STABLE tree.

Most of the time they will be ok.  But in some cases, they will be
forced to choose between trying to SUP and build the whole source
tree, or forgo the kernel bug fixes.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net