Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 17:24:06 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-depends?

Satoshi wrote:
>  * Is there any way to provide a mechanism such that a port may conditionally
>  * move on to making another port after it is finished?  Something like a
>  * POST_DEPENDS item that'll generally be built up due to WITH_CONTRIB, &c.
>  * variables.
>  *
>  * This would allow ports, like for example qmail, to offer a menu (using
>  * my pdlg mechanism, or another) of options for addons that might be
>  * useful - like qmailcontrib, qmailanalog, ezmlm, &c.
>
> Um, how's that supposed to work for packages? ;)

I don't think it's supposed to - since you're installing it from a
port, and not a package, you have more of an interactive interest in
the prospect.  Just like you won't find a package for tin that sets
NNTP_ONLY, this could be a ports-only feature.

Actually, I'll take a look at the "auto load" code in pkg_add, and
see whether it'd be at all hard to get that to fetch stuff requested.
That only leaves the displaying of options and returning of useful
information to pkg_add.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner