Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:28:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, julian@whistle.com, andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, sanewo@ba2.so-net.ne.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdate panic, anyone seen this?

> :> WHY would you async mount an MFS?
> :> it's an MFS!
> :
> :So you don't have to stall the caller copying the page-off-vnode
> :memory to the swappable-page memory.
>
>     So you don't have to do a context switch for each individual strategy
>     call.

That's what I meant by "stall".

>     I can now reliably make buildworld on the above said VN configuration
>     ( as /usr/obj ).  It's sweet, too... softupdates does an incredible
>     job balancing the network load.  It doles the file writes out to
>     the network so smoothly I at first didn't realize that it was working.

Rightous.

It's always the way that someone abuses a technology that makes the
biggest steps forward.  The unforseen application.

It's terrifically funny that you get such a performance win from
what is, in effect, "the anti-write-gatherer".  8-).  At one time,
write gathering was the be-all, end-all of NFS performance, short
of battery backed static RAM.

Think what you could do if you could use lease (opportunity lock)
technology to manage distributed dependencies between two machines,
using a Heidemann network proxy layer instead of relying on poor
old NFS.  There's actually a terrific paper out of Stanford on
leases:

	Leases: an efficient fault-tolerant mechanism for
	distributed file cache consistency.
	Cary G. Gray and David R. Cheriton
	CS-TR-90-1298
	January 1990

...courtesy of http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/NCSTRL/

I'm pretty sure this is the basis of the NFSv3 LEASE code.

I'm regretting ever more frequently the limitation of the soft updates
technology to a specific soloution for a fixed directed acyclic graph
(UFS + FFS order of operation dependencies), instead of a more general
mechanism where edges are managed by contention resolvers (shades of
netgraph).

I know Kirk's stated reasons for this, but I have to say that I really,
really disagree that specific registration of the UFS/FFS node contention
resoloution code (e.g., a "dependency") would result in data structures
any larger than the current ones.  Besides, you only have to take the
registration hit when you instance a file system, and filesystems know
about themselves.

Maybe someone who needs a PhD in CS will tackle generalizing the idea
using the Ganger/Patt appendix A code so as to not "contaminate"
themselves with the licensing issues for commercial use (e.g., too
many cooks).  I'd work on it, but I'm probably too polluted already,
not from the code, but from the fact that Whistle has a strategic
interest in having paid Kirk to do the port, and being an employee,
I have a contract that prevents me from giving away the fort.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.