Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:40:45 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP setup woe...

Ick!! The problem with modifying the code to make ppp seteuid 0 is that
you'll have to patch the source every time it's updated.

IMHO, a far better way to run ppp as root is to install sudo (even on a
single-user workstation) and get used to typing

		sudo ppp -auto <whatever>

This has the added benefit of getting you used to using sudo instead of
logging in as or su'ing to root :-)  Then, on the "real" machines you
administrate at work, using sudo becomes second nature.

Sudo is a sysadmin's friend...it's in the ports collection
(/usr/ports/net).  Configured properly (not the default configuration, if
I remember correctly) sudo can be quite humorous 8-)
--

John-David Childs (JC612)	Enterprise Internet Solutions
Systems Administration          @denver.net/internet-coach/@ronan.net

On Wednesday November 26, 1997, Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>
 had this to say about "Re: User PPP setup woe...":