Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:03:30 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Advocacy List" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to keep ISVs?

I have been talking to the makers of Netmax, an admin tool for FreeBSD
and Linux, and they have given me the impression they have not sold
that many copies of their software.

I bought the software and think that for small companies/ISPs/Setups it
is certainly a good buy.

They are soon to come out with a Linux version and I am a little
concern they may focus on that and decrease or eventually drop FreeBSD
support.

I would like opinions on what we can advice this company so they have a
better chance to remain as a viable FreeBSD ISV (independent software
vendor).

The only issue I have found with the software is it's cost. At $500 I
can see how a lot people would shy away from it. In my case I figured
it would take me too much time to configure email, firewall, DNS,
Samba.

On more general terms what, in your opinion, are products and services
that the FreeBSD community would be willing to buy? Given the number of
ports I think that most of the things covered by ports would probably
be difficult for an ISV to sell unless the software is "much easier" to
use than the available ports or has higher overall quality

I for one would be willing to pay $ for a good email client. I got
tired of trying email clients last time I tried to make FreeBSD my
primary desktop.

I also had hopes for Applixware (a suite like MS office), but the port
to FreeBSD just kept been post-poned.