Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:20:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        bjf <bjf@samurai.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, bjf wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:19:20PM -0500, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net> wrote:
> > You did make sure to update all the rc. files right?
>
> I did, as part of mergemaster'ing.

	You have to update _all_ of the /etc/rc* files to the latest
versions, since many of them (including rc.firewall) use the method of
sourcing the rc.conf files that is now included in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. If you have old rc files that depend on
/etc/defaults/rc.conf doing the recursive sourcing itself, you're out of
luck.

	If you didn't install the latest versions of the files because you
have custom hacks in them that you don't want to overwrite, please take a
look at the man page for sdiff, which is what mergemaster uses to do the
merging of old and new files. I believe that you will find it's easy to
blend the old and new files together once you try it a time or two.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire