Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 06:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hometeam@techpower.net
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with rc.conf/rc.firewall

I have allways put the option in rc.conf ,...Not firewall="YES"
firewall="open" simple or what ever.. you don't need to change anything in
rc.firewall other then your filters.
I didn't see much problem with it myself. I guess a info file
would be a plus . allthough most on here are will to help
and answers giving quickly.

why don't you write one....?<g>

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Studded wrote:

> 	Using 2.2.5-971012-BETA I upgraded my system with the tried and
> true make world + fold in /etc changes method.  It completed without
> errors (after I removed the -j 2 from make *grumble*) and then I made
> the kernel from the same kernel config file I used with the
> 2.2-970901-STABLE sources previously that included ipfw.  I set the
> firewall option to YES in rc.conf, and set the type to OPEN.
>
> 	A gold star to anyone who has already spotted the problem, the
> rc.firewall script expects "${firewall_type}" = "open", not OPEN, and
> it bombed out.  IMO putting the firewall_type option rc.conf is a big
> mistake.  It loses big in functionality what little it makes up for in
> convenience, especially when I'm 600 miles from the machine.
>
> 	In order of importance, suggestion number one is to return the
> firewall_type option to rc.firewall, include firewall_quiet, and put a
> note below firewall_enable saying that there are options to set in
> rc.firewall if you enable it.  This will reduce the likelihood of an
> error like mine, and has the added advantage of removing two
> little-used options from an already crowded rc.conf.  Suggestion number
> two is to make the type open BY DEFAULT, and let the person change it
> if need be.  There is really no reason to set up stumbling blocks that
> people don't need if they can be so easily avoided.  Third, it would be
> nice if the script (and the rc scripts in general) were made case
> insensitive, either by some sh trick, or some OR statements.  Finally a
> warning in rc.conf that the options are case sensitive would be a plus.
>

> 	I can produce diffs and send this as a PR if requested, but it
> is only a few lines in each place.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>
> *** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
> *** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
> *** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)

hometeam@techpower.net
--We cannot all be masters, nor all masters
   Cannot be truly follow'd--

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

owEBqwBU/4kAlQMFADRCxNWhsddKSTR+6QEBelED/jzeC3btZfqSdIfrNoCgwUJJ
iNQ33UQoMyJ2ygkfl72xP5J79yml/F4P73GnNaDVbaMOmOG2NNAi5ElE73wRh54U
17kH+n5XnYeqekV8T2TG2Q6ex3UotXPyZ1vvrCrSxapOz6a4hh0GQeA55rcwLy2W
ROHwxfvaVsrX5iVOkRoerBFiC21lc3NhZ2UudHh0AAAAAA==
=jCvF
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----