Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:00:12 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        tuco <tuco.email@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of GMT in BSD

tuco wrote:
> I see GMT being used in FreeBSD and wonder why an old astronomical time scale
> that has been obsolete for a long time now as the basis for the World's civil
> time is still used?

Stop with the long diatribe on GMT/UTC and kindly point out where you are
getting the idea that GMT is being used over UTC.
To my knowledge, FreeBSD's timekeeping is completely based on UTC (I
specifically recall that you are asked whether your BIOS keeps time in UTC
during the initial sysinstall)
If you know of specific binaries, man pages, or other parts of FreeBSD that
are incorrectly referring to or using GMT, please file a detailed PR using
the send-pr command, as I'm sure that FreeBSD is supposed to be using UTC.

Thank you for your concern on this matter, but I'm not even sure where you
got the idea that FreeBSD was using GMT.  I use NTP on my machines and I've
never had any trouble with GMT/UTC ... as far as I can tell, FreeBSD uses
UTC just as NTP does.

<SNIP diatribal description of UTC>

--
Bill Moran