Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:04:07 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 04:48:00PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my mail
> > (you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with Netscape).
> > I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The Book but they
> > haven't really helped, they seem more to do with receiving mail. Is
> > there a good guide to setting up sendmail to _send_ mail using a dial-up
> > connection? Something like the mutt manual
> > (/usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.html)?
>
> Here's the .mc file I have..
>
> divert(0)
> VERSIONID(`')
> OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
> FEATURE(nouucp)
> FEATURE(nocanonify)
> FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)
> DOMAIN(scientia.demon.co.uk)
> define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', `e')
> define(`ESMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', `e')
> define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')
> define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', 50)
> MAILER(local)
> MAILER(smtp)

Someone pointed me to the current freebsdzine, which has a tutorial
on setting this up. I followed it and it worked. Thanks for the
info though.

> The primary thing here is that is marks the SMTP and ESMTP mailers as
> expensive, and confCON_EXPENSIVE stops it trying to deliver to those
> straight away. When you do go online, use `sendmail -q'. I don't know
> how well that would work, since I use Exim, though in a couple of tests
> it seemed to work about right.
>
> I personally prefer Exim to sendmail, and you may find it worth a look
> (/usr/ports/mail/exim). If you decide to use that you'll find the
> exim-users list (information at www.exim.org) very helpful in general.

I'll take a look, thanks.

> > One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt yet
> > and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next page (as
> > in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: '' prompt. How
> > do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does but asks ``Exit
> > mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is the correct key to
> > cancel a command?
>
> If you get a ``To:'' prompt like that, pressing return without entering
> anything will cancel it. That probably works in other places.

Doh, I never thought of something as simple as that.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.