Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 07:53:43 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Flemming Froekjaer" <flemming@froekjaer.org>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD

Flemming writes:

> What? Try to read the original message again.
>
> "Could someone tell me how good the java support
> is on FreeBSD?"

My mistake, sorry.

> It sawes the customer money. They can pay me
> for more time to develop they app in C/C++ or
> pay for more processing power. The lather is
> cheaper.

Only if both are one-time costs.  But paying you to develop in C/C++ one time is
far cheaper than paying indefinitely for a heavier load on a machine,
particularly if you are no slower in C++ than in Java.  It isn't necessarily
faster to write an application in Java.  It depends on the programmer, and there
is at least a two-magnitude difference in speed between the best and the worst
programmers, holding all other factors constant, which largely eliminates any
differences due to choice of implementation language.

> If you are looking for a custom application that
> only you will use and there fore you are the only
> one th bare the cost of development then
> C/C++ is usualy way to expensive.

I agree, if you cannot find any fast C++ coders, but I was thinking of
commercial software that will be sold to many customers.

> I bet even you use Perl or shell scripts from time
> to time, because it would not make sense to spend
> the time to compile and link a C program for the job.

Yes, but "from time to time" is the operative expression here.  If I pay $600 or
$1000 for an application, it had better be written in something that executes
quickly, and that excludes Java (and Perl).  My time is worth much more than the
developer's time, since he will spend the time once, whereas I'll spend the time
on each occasion that I run his software.

> But he did. He was asking does FreeBSD support
> java.

Was he?  According to your backquote above, he was asking how well it supported
Java, not whether or not it supported Java.  Looks like you've made the same
incorrect inference that you pointed out to me.

> Java is free for production servers. Where do
> you get your facts?

I was looking at the licensing terms for binaries, trying to see what the
problem was for Java, and a royalty is mentioned.

> Show me one place where I can get free hardware.

Not just free hardware, but free hardware and software.  Both are usually more
expensive when they are proprietary and available from only a single source (cf.
Apple).

> And how would you make a web interface to your bank
> account or a search engine without dynamic page
> generation?

My bank handles interfaces to my bank account.  My site does not require a
search engine.

> This is 2001 The days with static pages are gone,
> the web is dynamic, and dynamic has nothing
> to do with bell and whistles.

The vast majority of pages on the Web contain static content, in terms of
percentage of sites.  Much of the dynamic content concerns appearance only as
well.