Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:01:36 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Jerry Breazeale <breazeal@hemc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setup question

Jerry Breazeale wrote:

> Subject:
> Xorg config
> From:
> Jerry Breazeale <breazeal@hemc.net>
> Date:
> Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:41:40 +0000
> To:
> questions@FreeBSD.org
>
> To:
> questions@FreeBSD.org
> CC:
>

>     Newbie question here.
>     I've followed the installation instructions in the book FreeBSD 6
> Unleashed and (finally) gotten it installed.  Now I proceed to the
> setting up of X, where the book says to log in as root, and type Xorg
> -configure .  I do that and get a response something like Xorg command
> not known.  During the installation, I selected Install it all
> including X.  This is version 6.3 by the way.  And this is about the
> 3rd or 4th attempt at installation on this HDD.  Some help would be
> appreciated.
>
>     By the way, after each of the first couple attempts at
> installation,during which I'd set up a separate /boot partition, I
> couldn't get FreeBSD to boot from the HDD.  The book had no caution
> about not using a separate /boot partition, but that's what I found to
> be causing the problem.  I installed again but without a separate
> /boot partition, and can now boot from the HDD.
>
>         Jerry

It seems both 6.3-RELEASE and 7.0-RC1 exhibit the same symptom. If you
perform the standard install + X, it is missing several parts of xorg,
most obvious one is xorg-drivers. The solution is not really to install
just xorg-drivers by hand (you will just find you are missing other
X-related packages afterwards) but installing the entire xorg-7.3
metapackage. This can be done during the initial installation, when
asked whether you would like to "browse the package collection", answer
yes, then find from the list the xorg-7.3 package (I believe it is in
category x11) and install it. This will pull all other required
dependencies. It seems the standard installation + X only installs the
xorg-server package (x11-server) which is simply not enough, since xorg
is now modular.

Manolis