Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:06:08 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin), billf@chimesnet.com (Bill Fumerola)
Subject:   Re: ipfw question.

> I know someone who is willing to substantially revise the install
> process, BUT:

That's too much of a BUT. :)

> 1)	They will want to keep it proprietary for commercial
> 	use for a period of at least a year, and that would

Which is why it wouldn't be FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is free and that
includes sysinstall and the pkg_install tools, a situation that
parallels this one since Walnut Creek CDROM essentially paid me to
write them.  If WC had turned pointy-haired about this and decided not
to allow me to release them, however, we'd still be using shell script
installers (or an installer from somebody with less pointy-haired
bosses) since that would have been completely unacceptable.

> 2)	They will want to call their stuff FreeBSD, but that

.. and which is why they couldn't call their stuff FreeBSD.  You can't
have your cake and eat it too.

I know you said FWIW, but I just wanted to point out that it was
actually worth very little. :-)

- Jordan