Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 11:54:24 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

Stuart Krivis wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Martin Heller wrote:
>
> > Nope, ARC is NOT another way of calling the boot loader. ARC, SRM, and
> > MILO are FIRMWARE. You don't boot linux directly from ARC or AlphaBIOS,
> > you use MILO to boot the kernel. ARC/AlphaBIOS is currently in most parts
> > 32-Bit opposed to SRM/MILO completely 64-bit.
>
> I stand corrected. This is what I get for reading about the Alpha on
> Usenet. :-)

This still seems an over simplification..  There are two seperate firmware
issues, the "console" and the "palcode".    The "console" is the program
loader and high level machine management for loading things like unix, NT,
etc.  In the console code is embedded a copy of "palcode".  Palcode is
both a blessing and a curse.  It's the low level pseudo-microcode that
provides a personality for the execution environment.  It is meant to
handle differences in different hardware and provide a common interface to
the given OS.  As such it controls things like interrupt management and
virtual memory management of page tables or whatever.  It is the palcode
that effectively determines the address space layout and things like
whether is supposed to use page tables (32 bit or 64 bit!), etc etc.

The problem is that the SRM console contains a copy of the OSF and VMS
palcode.  ARC and AlphaBIOS contain the NT palcode (which is limited to 32
bit address spaces. has a very different interrupt management system etc).
The NT palcode basically tries to make the Alpha look as much like a PC as
it can get away with.

And there's the kicker.. palcode is very machine specific and has to be
adapted for each new hardware type.  The Alpha "clones" coming from people
like Samsung (I'm told) simply don't have a SRM console with OSF palcode
available.

MILO is an interesting animal.  As I understand it, it is a pseudo-console
in that it can be "run" from ARC or AlphaBIOS and it then takes over the
machine and then switches to it's own hacked OSF palcode derivative to
restore the 64 bit environment or something like that.  It can then run
Unix-like OS's that were intended to run under a SRM environment and real
OSF palcode with a lot less pain than trying to run in a
sanitized-to-avoid-confusing-NT environment.

Or something along those lines anyway. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter