Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:20:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Charlie Roots <root@isis.dynip.com>
Cc:        osiris2002@yahoo.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE, or CURRENT that can compile NEEDED URGENLY

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Charlie Roots wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I've been using FreeBSD as I learn it from scratch,
> I even downloaded it from the net some year and half ago since 2.2.2-RELEASE
> which was so stable and tolerated my noviceness very nicely.

FreeBSD-2.2-stable is newbie friendly, 3.0-current is a minefield for
newbies, think *BOOM*.

> As I learn to do good, sometimes I learn to do BAD,
> One of the mistakes I did some eight months ago, that I learned how to use
> CVSUP, and I felt that I must be in heaven to be able to upgrade a full unix
> system over the net and for FREE.
>
> What happened is I upgraded to  3.0-Current (then), and there was a
> really annoying bug that remained with me whenever I reboot the machine
> using shutdown -r command, the system goes into PANIc, and next time I have
> to keep praying that nothing on the filesystems were FUCKED.
                                                       ^^^^^^
um, public list, think "this is archived forever" you're not being
abusive, but i doubt you want this to show up in a web search one day with
your name attached. :)

> Fortunately, I was able to discovery thaat hittinh CNRL-ALT-DEL combination
> did not panic neither that operating system nor me.
>
> Next I CVSUPED to 3.0-CURRENT recently as of few days, and I discovered
> that FreeBSD changed the binary format to ELF,  so I read why they did that,
> and accepted the cause greatfully.  When I try to compile the system either
> on an aout basis or elf basis, the compile fails.

*cough* again, 3.0 is not newbie friendly, keep reading i have some
advice. :)

> So I though to give some desperate email to this list in the hope that someone
> will have an answer for this problem.  All I got was a single email from a
> very arrogant guy telling me in short to read the archives.

The FreeBSD team works very hard to make sure the tree will build under
any system, however this isn't always possible whether you followed
directions or not.

Here's what may fix things:

rm -rf /usr/obj
chflags -noschg /usr/obj
rm -rf /usr/obj
echo OBJFORMAT=elf > /etc/objformat
cd /usr/src
make includes
make clean
make aout-to-elf

(don't forget to recompile your kernel and install it afterwards if this
works)

If this doesn't do it for you, I recommend backing up your /etc and
forcing an upgrade with sysinstall, considering how broken your box is
at this point it's really the only/best option.

you can download a newer installdisk from current.freebsd.org.

Better yet, if you can't name anything specific from 3.0 that you need,
reinstall 2.2-stable.

You can get SNAP install disks for 3.0 and 2.2 from
ftp://current.freebsd.org

> I sent him a reply indicating that I have a slow connection to the net and
> I am trying to get the whole fucken archieve over to my machine so I can
> spend some year and half searching for the answer.
>
> Then I though man you are too stupid to run current, so I cvsuped 3.0-RELEASE
> in the hope that I so be stupid, and the system compiles.

uh?  Generally, if you think you can't do something, then you may want to
hold off till you understand the implications better.

> All hours of cvsupping went in vane, Current, and RELESAE both
> won't compile whatever I do, even to create some symbolic links
> or manipulating makefiles to bypass a glitchy area, but nothing still successful.
>
> ]Some NO-arrogant helpful user tryt to tell me why:
>
> Current is not compiling and giving "__error" unknown from text segment.
> ]Release is not compiling and giving "ld:" not found something ..
>
> until I get the HOLLY archieve and read it.

This was in the archives a LONG time ago but i forget what the solution
was.

> I is worth noting that all the goodies in current-ports are not compiling too now.
>
> thanks in advance, and sorry for my nervousness.
> if my email address fails, try
> osiris2002@yahoo.com

i'm cc'ing to that address.