Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:57:35 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What packages can I deinstall?

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:24:25PM -0600, Pat Maddox wrote:
> I've got a bunch of packages installed on my machine and I'd like to
> know if I can deinstall any of them.  I know what a lot of them do,
> and know what will happen if I deinstall them.  Others, I'm not really
> sure.  For example I've got a package named cclient
> (http://www.freshports.org/mail/cclient/) installed.  If I run
> pkg_deinstall -n cclient, it says that it'd be removed without any
> problems.  So evidently no other package is depending on
> this...perhaps it's just an artifact from a package I installed a
> while back but deinstalled?
>=20
> Basically I'd like to clear out any unused packages.  Is it safe to
> just run on pkg_deinstall -n on any package I don't recognize, and if
> it isn't required as a dependency for another package go ahead and
> delete it?

You probably want pkg_cutleaves.  If you're not using portupgrade,
it's possible that your dependency database may be inconsistent
(e.g. if you've done pkg_delete -f or failed to uninstall old versions
before installing new ones over the top).  Run pkgdb -F to check
consistency first.

Kris

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb--