Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:01:14 +0100
From:      npe@bfc.dk
To:        Freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel configurator

> > > Well... why don't you ask them? The newbies who can read have a
mailing
> > > list where they decide what would be best for -current users to try
:-)

> > Unless I'm mistaken, don't the options USERCONFIG, and its visual
> > counterpart already implement a "Kernel Configurator??" It's my
> > understanding that they do.
>
> That was my understanding also.  I think the original author might have
meant
> a pre-compilation utility which spawns a TCL or Curses based
configuration
> tool that gives a runthrough of all the options, similar to Linux's 'make
> xconfig' or 'make menuconfig' (assuming, of course, that they haven't
changed
> it in the two-plus years since I quit using Linux).
Exactly... The bootup utility works just fine. But for the precompile
thingy it would be much easier for newbies to use a tool for it with have
descriptions and comments about all the options and devices.
I'm currently thinking of a configuration file format suitable for this
thing and wondered if there where some standard on that.. I'm currently
working on a kind of .ini style where you build up all the menus and
options in the file..
And maybe it would be smart to make specific options available in advanced
mode only.. (CPU hacks and etc.)

Regards,
Nicolai Petri