Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:59:26 +0100
From:      "ROGIER MULHUIJZEN" <MULHUIJZEN@PZH.NL>
To:        <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -Stable on a Toshiba.

Myself I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000, and the only trouble I had was with
the soundcard. I had to go out and buy OSS to get it to work properly
(but hey, OSS is pretty good IMHO). And since this sound chipset I have
(Yamaha OPL-SAx3) and it's close relatives, have been in Toshiba
notebooks for years, I'd say the 2610 will probably have it too. And
don't believe what they say about SoundBlaster Pro compatible, cuz it
ain't. ANY soundblaster pro driver will only do 8 bit sound.

It probably has the NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV as graphics chipset too,
and well, it runs X fine for me.

Toshiba usually sticks to a certain piece of technology once they start
using it, so I'd say you'll have a pretty good chance of making a
kickass little workstation out of it.

But why don't you ask if you can tinker with it for an hour or so in
the store. Just bring a 3.4-RELEASE CD and go to town on it. If it
works, you're happy, and they'll have sold a notebook. If not, you're
happy you didn't spend all that money, and they.... well erm.... COULD
have sold a notebook.

Just make sure you don't get cardbus PCMCIA cards for now.

           DocWilco

>>> matt <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET> 01/18 8:54 AM >>>

Hi,

This is a bit off the normal discussion here, but I've been laptop
shopping, and have my mind rather liking the Toshiba 2610DVD, I've
been wondering what my odds are on getting fbsd -stable to run on
the thing. Has anyone had any exp. with this particular laptop?

-Matt