Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 05:23:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Argh! Many sig 11's

Kal Torak wrote:

> Hiyas,
>
> One of my machines running 4.0 Stable had its power supply go,
> I since replaced it and now when coping large amounts of data etc
> things start dieing with sig 11's...

There isn't anything that says the new PS doesn't have problems. Have
you got a spare you can test. You don't even have to screw it into
place to test it. I have also used a cardboard box in front of a
system to hold test motherboards before.

> Eg. cp -ipRP /usr /newusr (/usr and /newusr are in separate drives)
> after about 10mins of copying syslogd exited on 11, then ntpd then
> getty, then vm caused a panic and the system died...

FreeBSD 4.x is sensitive to bad spots. It doesn't like any around.
With the panic when vm starts makes me think it is HD related but you
never know if you are seeing a symptom or a side effect until you
solve it.

Kent

> I thing one of the hdds is on the way out.. But could this cause the
> sig 11's? I dont see what other hardware could of been damaged by the
> power supply dieing...
>
> TIA
> Kal.

Kent Stewart