Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 21:59:17 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, eivind@yes.no, rnordier@nordier.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object  versioning

> > > Well, here are a couple of points:
> > > * License
> >
> > I'll assume that TenDRA and XANDF are both BSD-license?
>
> Yes.
>
> > > * General quality of system (GCC is written under the paradigm 'learn
> > >      writing compilers as we go')
> >
> > I can't comment on that one, not having examined the source code to
> > the various compilers.  But are the others written by professional
> > compiler writers?
>
> Yes.  Under denfense contract.

As someone who is currently billing hours to the U.S. DoD
by using ACE on FreeBSD, let me underscore the tenous nature of defense
projects.  I don't think this aspect has been sufficiently
considered.  TenDRA looks to be another of those interesting
singularities that occur with modest frequency whenever sufficient
funding&&complacency in oversight&&sufficient intellectual
force is displayed by the P.I.  Examples in the U.S. abound,
two U.S. Gov (not DoD) projects perhaps familiar (to this list)
are the current NASA NetBSD networking and storage projects, and Beowulf.
I doubt seriously HMS "DoD" is any different.

Easy come.  Easy go.

Russell