Date:      14 Feb 2001 13:01:38 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broadband downunder

Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au> writes:
> Nobody who sells cable or ADSL in Australia officially supports non-M$
> operating systems.  As far as I know they even shaft the Mac users.
>
> The usual deal is to pretend to be an avid Windoze user while the
> technician is there, then plug the network into your unix cluster
> when they've left.  The exact details on how to connect from FreeBSD
> or Linux vary, and I don't currently know any details.

Heh. Norwegian cable providers also officially insist on Windows, but
IRL they're happy as clams to have the customer install the network
adapter and drivers himself, as long as he doesn't come whining to
them if it doesn't work. As for ADSL, the provider from which I've
ordered my line (not installed yet) says you can use anything you want
as long as it talks TCP/IP over Ethernet. They're happy to draw the
line between "mine" and "yours" at the router.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org