Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:37:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        freebsd@cliffsworld.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what to do with an old 486

As I recall, cliff ainsworth III wrote:
> I have this 486/33 with 20 megs of ram, a 125 meg hard drive and a
> Netgear nic. I would like to use it as a dial out box for my lan. I have
> a Netgear hub. I would love to use PicoBSD as my server and possibly be
> able to dial back into it. Does Pico support multilink PPP like FreeBSD
> does? OpenBSD and NetBSD don't support multilink yet. So I figured I
> would try Pico before I just install FreeBSD on it. Any ideas or
> suggested configs for it? Here's another question. since Pico is built
> on 3.0 does it support SMP? I don't see a reference to it so I shall
> assume not.

No offense, but if you've got a 125 meg hard drive on the machine,
why not just run FreeBSD.  I think 2.2.8 would do you just fine, and
you'd have access to a larger universe of fellow travellers if you
needed help.

I'd run PicoBSD on diskless (or floppy only) machines.  I've run
FreeBSD in as small a machine as a 386/20 laptop with an 80 meg hard
drive and 8 meg of RAM.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net