Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:38:47 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting prompt in tcsh

Using bash I set PS1 to "[\u@\h:\w]" and then test to see if I'm root or
not to add '$' or '#'. This gives me a nice prompt like
'[acharn@ceres:/usr/ports/security]$ ', which is useful because I have two
machines I telnet to and it's nice to be reminded if I've su'd to root and
just what directory I'm currently in. I've been going through man 1 tcsh
and haven't found anything similar, and I can't find the web site I ran
across a couple of months ago which had unix tutorials, including one on
shells.

Can anyone help me out with an expression to put in .cshrc or .tcshrc so I
can get a similar prompt in tcsh? After playing with it a little bit I've
decided I should restore it as the shell for root (since tcsh lives in /bin).
--
Roger

"The only way to look younger is
not to be born so soon."